Five Cold Weather Propane Safety Tips for Your Finger Lakes-Area Home
Propane is among the safest fuels around – but as is the case with any energy source, you and your family have to know what to do if the unexpected occurs in your propane-powered home, especially in the winter.
Here are four key propane safety tips and reminders for the Finger Lakes-area winter to come:
- Make sure all adults in your home know how to shut the valve on your main propane gas tank in case of emergency. Contact us if you are not sure how to do this.
- Teach your family how to identify the rotten egg smell of a gas leak – and what to do if they detect it.
- Make sure carbon monoxide (CO) detectors are installed on every level of your home, following manufacturer’s recommendations for placement and maintenance. Replace batteries in each detector at least once a year, and replace the whole unit every five years. We also strongly recommend installing propane leak detectors to protect against odor loss in the event of a propane leak.
- If you have a propane backup generator, make sure it has enough fuel to run for at least a week in the event of a power outage. Run your generator once a month for about 20 minutes during the winter to make sure it is operating properly and to make sure critical moving parts remain lubricated.
- If a winter storm is forecast:
- Make sure you have enough propane gas to last at least a week in case of road closures
- Always follow the instructions of local authorities for evacuations and shelter-in-place emergencies
- Clear snow and debris from vents, chimneys, and flues after a storm to a dangerous build-up of carbon monoxide
- If you suspect that any of your propane equipment has been damaged or is not working properly, contact us right away for service – do not attempt to use them! Remember: if you shut down your gas supply for any reason, the law requires you to hire a licensed professional to restart you system.
Stay safe this winter – contact Ehrhart Energy today if you have any questions about propane safety in your home!