How Long Will My Propane Last between Fill Ups?
If you’re new to owning a propane-powered home here in the Finger Lakes – or don’t have much experience running propane equipment year-round – you may wonder how often you can expect to refill your propane tank.
To estimate how often you will need a propane delivery, you will need to know four things:
- The size of your propane tank (typically 250 to 1000 gallons);
- The number, types, and sizes of your propane appliances;
- The amount of energy produced by each gallon of propane as it is burned (about 91,500 BTUs (British Thermal Units) per hour); and
- How much fuel each of your appliances consumes in typical use (we will take a look at that below).
How much propane do common appliances use?
The amount of propane your appliances will use depends on factors ranging from the size and efficiency of each unit to how well it was matched to your space, installed, and maintained. But the following table should give you some idea of how much each appliance uses to do its job:
- Pool Heater – 425,000 BTU (~ 4 gallons) /hour
- HVAC Furnace – 100,000 to 200,000 BTU (~1 to 2 gallons)/hour
- Fireplace with ceramic logs – 26,000 BTU/hour (1 gallon / 3 hours)
- Gas cooktop/range – 65,000 BTU/hour (5 to 10 gallons / month)
- Tankless water heater – 40,000 BTU/hour (~1.5 gallons / day)
- Gas clothes dryer – 35,000 BTU/hr (< 1 gallon/ day)
If you want a better idea of how much propane your home might use – and how quickly – contact us today. Our experts will help you determine whether or not your propane tank is right-sized for your home and usage so you can be sure you’re getting the most value for your money.
And if you never want to think at all about propane refills again, just sign up for FREE automatic propane delivery from Ehrhart Energy and let us worry about it!
Looking for reliable propane deliveries in our service area? Join the Ehrhart family of customers for the best propane gas and propane gas services in the Finger Lakes Region.