“I Didn’t Know Propane Could Do That…”
Mention the word propane and many people will immediately think of a barbecue grill. But the truth is propane can power just about any appliance inside or outside your Finger Lakes-area home – and usually do the job better, more efficiently, and with fewer harmful emissions than other fuels.
How versatile is propane? Consider these home propane uses:
- Water heaters – Today’s high-tech, high-efficiency water heaters – including power vent models – could save 30 percent or more on your water heating energy bills.
- Back-up generators – Severe weather is becoming more common these days – and so are the dangerous power outages that can come with it. With a propane-powered emergency backup generator, you’ll not only keep the lights and heat or A/C on – you’ll also keep your food fresh, your sump pump working and your home security system protecting your valuables.
- Furnaces – Propane burns hot, which means a propane furnace can be used in short bursts – unlike an electric heat pump, which runs almost continuously while blowing air that is cool to the touch. Heat pumps must also use auxiliary heating elements below certain temperatures, which negates whatever efficiency advantages the units have in an ideal setting.
- Space heaters – High efficiency direct-vent propane space heaters – available in many sizes and finishes – enable you to create an efficient zone heating system in your home and rescue difficult to heat rooms. They also work during power outages, which can come in handy in severe weather.
- Hearths – Propane fireplaces and cast iron stoves give you the warm glow of a fire at the push of a button – all at about four times the efficiency of a wood-burning fireplace.
- Outdoor living – Want to expand your home without breaking down walls? Turn your outdoor space into a seasonal living space. Add a propane pool heater, built-in cooking grill, patio heater or fire pit and you’ll make your yard your family’s favorite place to entertain.
- Cooking ranges – A propane stove or cooktop gives you unmatched precision when it comes to controlling cooking temperature – a big reason why more than nine of ten professional chefs chooses to cook with gas.
- Clothes dryers – Propane dryers run are more efficient than electric models – and because they generate less static, your clothes will last longer.