NYSERDA Programs Could Help You Save Money and Energy
You may not have heard of the New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA), but if you are a NY State resident interested in alternative energy and eco-friendly home building, you definitely want to check them out.
NYSERDA’s mission is to “advance innovative energy solutions in ways that improve New York’s economy and environment” – a lofty aspiration to be sure. But they’re doing it with boots on the ground solutions, promoting energy efficiency and the use of renewable energy sources with incentives for homeowners and builders alike.
Here are just some of the money- and energy-saving programs and incentives that NYSERDA offers – check them out and see if your home build or rehab might qualify.
To learn more about NYSERDA, visit their website at https://www.nyserda.ny.gov.
NYSERDA programs for homeowners
- Renewable Heat NY – Supports the installation of high efficiency, low emission wood heating technology. These advanced technology heating systems enable consumers to use local wood pellets and cordwood as fuel in a cleaner way. Technologies include pellet stoves and cordwood / pellet boilers with thermal storage, many of which are made right here in New York State.* Details here.
- Assisted Home Performance with ENERGY STAR® – Provides qualified applicants with a discount covering 50 percent of the cost of eligible energy efficiency improvements up to $4,000 per project for single-family homes. Details here.
- Home Performance with ENERGY STAR® – Offers homeowners in New York State a comprehensive, whole-house approach to improving energy efficiency and home comfort while saving money. Get started with a NYSERDA home energy audit by applying here.
- EmPower New York – Offers no-cost energy efficiency services such as insulation, air sealing, energy efficient light bulbs, and replacement of an inefficient refrigerator and freezer to low-income (such as HEAP-eligible) homeowners and renters. Details here.
NYSERDA also offers two loan options to help New York State residents finance energy efficiency and renewable energy improvements made through NYSERDA’s programs; these lower interest rates are offered to income eligible New Yorkers and those who cannot qualify for traditional financing.
NYSERDA programs for residential builders
NYSERDA offers the following incentives for low-rise residential builders:
- ENERGY STAR® – certified homes – Supports builders who construct single-family homes that meet the New York ENERGY STAR Certified Homes standard. Income-qualified homebuyers may be eligible for additional support. Details here.
- Gut-rehab – Supports builders who substantially renovate homes or multi-unit residential projects to meet the New York ENERGY STAR Certified Homes standard. Income-qualified homebuyers may be eligible for additional support. Details here.
- Net Zero – Supports builders who construct homes designed to achieve net-zero energy performance. Net zero homes are capable of producing as much energy over a year as it will need to supply the home’s energy needs, offering recurring savings and greater value to homebuyers.
Did you know that Ehrhart Energy is a certified Renewable Heat Contractor for NYSERDA? If you’re interested in finding out more about the potential of wood pellet stoves and boilers in your Finger Lakes-area home, contact us today – we will explore the possibilities for installation and financing your green-powered home together!