What to Do If You Suspect a Propane Leak
One of the many benefits of propane is that it is a safe fuel. But like any source of energy, you need to respect it by taking proper precautions – and by knowing what to do in the event of an emergency.
Follow these signs and steps to keep your home and family safe:
- Know what a propane leak smells like, and what it sounds like – Propane gas is naturally colorless and odorless. But propane manufacturers add a strong sulfuric smell so it smells like rotten eggs or skunk spray so it is detectable during a leak. A propane leak sounds like a hiss – like escaping air.
- Put out all flames and sparks – Immediately put out open flames and smoking materials – or anything likely to cause a spark. Never turn on lights, appliances or other electrical items as static electricity could trigger an explosion or fire.
- Leave the area immediately – Remove all children and pets from your home if you suspect a propane gas leak.
- Shut off propane gas valve on propane tank – Turn the valve to the right (clockwise) to turn off the main gas supply to your propane tank.
- Report the propane leak – Contact Ehrhart or dial 911 from a safe building away from the propane leak. After the leak is secured, get your system checked – do not operate any appliances until your system has been repaired by a professional.
Avoiding future problems
- Maintain your equipment – With propane, the best way to prevent leaks is through routine, professional service.
- Install a propane gas detector – Propane gas detectors will sound an alarm if they sense propane gas in the air. Combination Explosive Gas detectors often detect propane gas, methane, and carbon monoxide.
- Treat connectors with care – when moving appliances, make sure the gas line connector is handled with care. Cracking, flexing, or twisting increases the likelihood of a propane leak.
- Plug or cap unused gas lines – If you move an appliance or it is not in use, make sure the gas line is properly secured.
Stay safe and enjoy the many benefits of propane – with dependable, year-round delivery from Ehrhart Energy!